Liverpool Playhouse is an 1866 Victorian music hall that was altered to become a three tier theatre in 1896 and remodelled and extended in 1911. An extension with foyer, bars, office and back of house accommodation was added in 1968.
The project was to carry out repairs and renovations to the external façade of the building including works to rainwater goods and windows. Working with conservation experts, the design team and contractors to ensure successful delivery with significant site constraints as this is busy site in the middle of Liverpool City Centre and the operational constraints as the theatre remained open during parts of the programme. The nature of working with a grade 2 listed building raised several interesting challenges around maintaining the integrity of the building using the sensitive materials and construction methodology. The works overall have restored the building back to a high standard that the city can be proud of and increased the Playhouse’s visibility, helping to attract and guide new audience members to the theatre.